I look at that picture of my very own country road from my childhood (except back then it was cobblestone) and I have a thousand moments to write about. I can step into that scene, take a few steps into the hollow and stop to look off and see mountains disappearing behind mountains disappearing behind mountains. I can very nearly smell the cold air of November and hear the river in the valley down below.
If you were standing in that picture, coming out from it and stopping at the top of that little rise looking out, instead of wildness, you'd see town.
Town is small but every store, in those days, was full -- and had been for a long time. They all were what they'd started out to be. Murphys five and dime, Western Auto, The H&P Store, Spencer's shoe store. None of those are there now and nothing else has taken their place. The town is all but empty, now a few serial craft shops trying to fill windows. But once the town boomed.
I'm not nostalgic anymore. Usually. Knocked that habit. But it's fun to do this on purpose. Look at a picture and step into it.
If it's a picture I know, I can write about the day it was taken or something from the past that I know and remember.
If it's a picture I've never seen before, like one of my collections of found pics (that I usually find in the pages of second hand books), I get to write the story myself, taking off in a different direction.
Poems are a bit more difficult, but they can also sprout from a found picture.
If you don't know that road you see on WOODSMOKE's page, why don't you write where you think it leads and what you'd find if you walked it?
So go look at that country road and see if it can take you home.
No comments:
Post a Comment