to know, divine
I was, of course, in a world steeped in Christian doctrine, told that divining the future was terribly wrong. That's what churches taught. What I was taught by example, however, didn't play along.
The broom fell, "Someone's coming."
Salt spilled, "Uh-oh!" (Tossed some over left shoulder).
"Before John died, we saw a bird fly around past the same window three times in a row -- a white bird. I don't know if it was a real bird. John died three days after we saw that. He wasn't even sick."
"Esther saw what she described as a big white basket sitting out in the yard. None of us saw anything. After she died, we saw that it was her own casket she was seeing."
"I started home, but lights come up over Luther's grave and I turned back. It was a sign."
"We need to get the water witch out (meaning either a person adept at finding water or a "y" shaped stick cut from a hazel tree) before we dig the well."
Knowing ways were integral to our life, had been handed down in this same way from eons past. Who knew where these things originated? They came down in childhood and stayed with us.
When I discovered other ways, I fell in with it like coming home. I've had people preach at me since that time, but they don't get anywhere. I know what I know. Just as you arm yourself with provisions before a coming storm, you can get ready for what may come. The future is never written until you write it, but the path has a direction and that direction can be known.
No comments:
Post a Comment