This writer who has cute titles and pictures on his books, I forget his name just now, said that only people who have DONE something and have a name for themselves should write memoir because no one wants to read about someone they never heard of. hmmmmph!
I would rather get acquainted with the unsung, undiscovered, unknown poet philosopher regular Josephine who dishes up a homegrown story of things she did and didn't do. The bravery of the girl next door grown old and weary and yet still putting one foot in front of the other. You're the ones I want to read. I already know Joe Whassname is going to brag his books and accomplishments and trips he's been on and things he bought and namedrop a bit and tell us his simmered wisdom. Yeah, sure, I would read about folks like Dick Van Dyke -- he's got a good story to tell. And Willie Nelson? I'll read every autobiography the man writes. I've already read two autobiographies by Joan Baez and hope she writes a third. But it's Don't Tell Them You're Cold by Katherine P. Manley that stands out in my mind as the memoir worth reading. Why it is not a movie, I can not imagine. Maybe it will be.
But readers are not the real reason we need to write our memoirs. That's gravy on the taters, but the real reason is to learn who we are. If no one else ever turns the page of your story, you will have gained so much by the time you've discovered the theme playing through! Those weren't random acts and disassociated episodes. They had a purpose behind them -- just as you do.
This life is about discovering who you are. Everyone paints you a different way. None of those are you!
Write your memories. Your memoirs. I guarantee someone will turn those pages.
No comments:
Post a Comment