Monday, October 3, 2011

I think I kicked the flu before it kicked me

Saturday -- freezing here in the hills. Foolish me -- I dressed for chilly fall, not cold winter. We stood in a field with a bunch of other folks at a little girl's birthday party.

The chills found me quickly.

We headed for the Wild Bean right after the party and I downed two steaming cups of ginger tea with honey and cinnamon.

At home, I felt much better and thought I'd bested the thing before it got me. When I woke around 2 in the morning, I knew that had not happened. I took a quaker -- vinegar/honey -- and drank peppermint tea and went back to bed to sweat it out. But I couldn't sleep.

By five in the morning, I was reeling and stuffy and felt like someone had fastened a C-clamp on each eye. More tea, a round of garlic and back to bed to shiver awhile and sweat awhile.

All of Sunday was the battle of the bug. Today, I still had the vice-grip headache, sore eyes and a feeling that you could knock me over with a blink.

I'd get my energy back and start in to housecleaning and suddenly give out and NEED. BED. NOW.

I kept up with all the remedies I know. Including the vegan version of chicken soup. Food was tangerines, carrots, apples, grapejuice mixed with cayenne and water, soup with onions and garlic.

And I'm over it. I feel fine. Except for a sneeze now and then. Which means a cold instead of the flu.  Which means -- I've got to get the water and salt for that  water-torture thing  -- which works so well and which I love to hate -- but can't because it works.

I found directions online for anyone who wants to try it -- this and a quaker will fix you up -- no kidding.

http://www.rebron.org/2005/10/13/cold-remedy-salt-water-up-your-nose/

Don't knock it until you've tried it.

2 comments:

B. WHITTINGTON said...

Will keep those remedies for when we fall over with the flu/cold or whatever it was you had.

Right now all we have is allergies, sneezing.
Yes, the salt water up the nose works and it HURTS like heck. I do it when I have to. The fear of it is worse than the actual treatment. Gets the bugs out of your nasal passages.
Happy you are back writing. Thankfully one of us is writing. B

Granny Kate said...

Thank you for reading the blog, Barb. I wish I could comment on yours, but something doesn't allow it. It just kicks the comment off and a page comes up saying I don't have "authority" to post under this identity.

Which -- I am using this now as a saying. It's like "does not compute". If I don't understand a statement someone makes, I just tell them I don't have the authority to post under this identity. Then, while they are trying figure out what i said, I slip away. Works well for visiting Jehovah's Witnesses or people trying to enlist me for something I don't want to do.