OldenEarth is our little business. This was started on the heels of a massive heart attack. Mark woke up and thought, "apple trees". Ok. Apple trees it is. And bee gardens and butterfly gardens. Heck, even bat gardens. Bat houses, too. Always wanted to make cute little bat houses and now each bare "brown lot" will green up with seeds and plants, and some will host tall poles with little black batouses on them. And little yellow birdhouses. And lots of milkweed for the monarchs.
It's a thing we can do that isn't depressing.
Not as depressing as paying attention.
For instant, paying attention to the sludge and poison filling our rivers. My two favorite cities, sweet Charleston and lovely Asheville have now had their water poisoned by coal sludge and oil grime.
News like that hit us before we were hardly into the new year. In fact, we were not yet into the Chinese new year, only the calendar new year. We pinned hopes on that new year and here came this bad news. Then we pinned hope on the next threshold, the Chinese new year and this came right afterward:
And then we got on past that a bit and here came:
and this:
Oh, and there's more. There's frack wells blowing up in Pennsyvania and Kentucky and a spill in Tennesee. And these companies around here with names like Freedom, and Patriot, and Eagle --- all trying to shuck off the responsibility and slide out from under the mess they created. Wonder what they bought with all that money that was more important than a tall cool, clean, drink of water.
But I digress
This didn't start out to be no blog about bad news. It's about spring. It's about beginning again. It's about planting a seed and watching it grow. Not so much for our personal benefit, (except in that every seed grown is to everyone's benefit), but to seed back a little bit of green -- making these tangible, hands-on spells toward healing. And with every bit of dirt I dig into, I'm crossing the names of the guilty, that they face up and pay up and get out of the dirty business of coal and oil. Every seed I plant, I'm thinking windmills and solar energy and hemp and biodiesel.
Jimmy Carter once installed solar panels on the White House and told us this energy crunch was terminal. Then along came Reagan, laughing up his Hollywood sleeve and tore those solar panels down again.
Jimmy Carter once installed solar panels on the White House and told us this energy crunch was terminal. Then along came Reagan, laughing up his Hollywood sleeve and tore those solar panels down again.
But it isn't just the republicans -- President Obama is promising us that coal is clean and fracking is sound. I never heard such foolishness coming form someone who seems intelligent. But again, I sidetracked off into the muck.
Look, all I'm saying is, along with staying awake, remembering not to vote for either side of a wooden nickle, and holding the guilty responsible, we need to
THINK GREEN
Plant a seed
OldenEarth
No comments:
Post a Comment