One night I started to go to bed but first I had to close down my computer. To do that, you have to open it, wake it, then put it to bed. But then I opened Word, and I typed Chapter One.
I started writing and didn't know any character or plot or anything. Three hundred and sixty words later, I stopped and there was a main character surrounded by five other characters who were alive and one who was dead and one who was temporary.
The next morning, I woke early because when I go to bed late, I wake early. I opened the story and kept writing from where I left off. I didn't make up the story, the story unwound. And when it was finished at 4,308 words, it was done. I deleted the words Chapter One and wrote the title of the short story.
I don't send things in, usually. But I'm in the mood to do so. So, story, off you go to make your way in the world. Don't sleep in any alleys, don't take any nickle nickles, and remember that please and thank you are still the same magic they always were.
the end
My story won 2nd place at West Virginia Writers Conference -- Friday night People's Choice.

No comments:
Post a Comment