All I want to do these days is spin. I take my obsessions one at a time and I guess it's time to spin.
Of course, i set myself several things to do in order to win the right to spin. I clean (which I actually love to do) and I work in the yard (which I love to do even more -- except I resent THIS yard and want to be working on the homeplace) and I do any reading I've promised (several right now because of the way the solar eclipse and the changes brought on by Uranus and Neptune are affecting people). We're working on a tool room at the homeplace and we've got traveling having to do with the land business -- which brings in bean money. We owe the grandkids a visit. And I dearly want to go see our daughter's new house. We've got maintenance to do, both here and on places we co-own (with those who are buying them) including a roof that needs fixed. So, I'll be diligent and I'll be patient. I'll do what calls me to be done.
THEN, I get to spin.
Sunshine Waltz
Lyrics and melody © 1995 by Catherine Faber
I sit in the sunshine and spin,
And I wait for the song to begin.
Winter was bitter; ah, winter was hard,
With snow like a mountain piled up in the yard--
But the wildflowers bloom, there is grain in the bin,
And I sit in the sunshine and spin.
I sit in the sunshine and spin
With the wool and the wheel and the wind.
The sun is returning and gracing the lands,
Warm on my shoulders and warm on my hands.
I let the cat out, and I let the cat in,
And I sit in the sunshine and spin.
I sit in the sunshine and spin,
And I don't ask the cat where he's been.
Summer will come and the flowers will fade;
Too soon I'll be seeking the cottonwood shade,
But the moment is precious, and waste is a sin,
So I sit in the sunshine and spin.
I sit in the sunshine and spin,
And that sleepy old cat seems to grin.
He dozes and drowses through morning's delights;
I think I can guess what he does with his nights.
He's sleeping them off now with milk on his chin
As I sit in the sunshine and spin.
2 comments:
Thank you for reminding me of this song! I have been sitting in the sunshine ('cause it's been a chilly spring and summer mostly, thus far) in Maine, and carding so that maybe come winter I CAN spin.
If you should happen across an inexpensive spinning wheel looking for a home... one that works but I don't care if it's an old fashioned style or something made of modern materials and "cobbled together" from this and that.. would prefer NOT a "great wheel" style, due to the size of the place but...
Anyway, I am calling one and if it happens to show up in your neighborhood, let me know the particulars. I can send $$ for it and shipping...
i will watch for your wheel, Jj, if it should come rolling this way -- and I will put the word out by way of the fiber guild in Lewisburg.
Post a Comment