Monday, July 30, 2012

Tide of Weodmonadh -- August

I've gotten along this far without knowing the old english names for the months. Every culture has its own names. Names are important because the essence is coded into it. Our names, for instance. What we are called calls to us certain things; it's part of a frequency recognized by other energies that respond to that frequency.

But I'm in a bit of transition in lifestyle (we moved to a farm) and I'm wanting to update my old practices. So I put in a bit of study by book and by the web to see what others do for that which is called Lugnasadh and which I've been calling Frey fest or first harvest.

I like the symmetry of honoring our male ancestors and the Gods directly across from the time of the year when I honor the Distaff (our feminie ancestors) and the Disir (Goddesses). So, I choose (rather randomly) August 2 to balance February 2, which I use as the day of Distaff (also called Imbolc).  I could use the eve of August or the astrologically correct 15 degrees  Leo or some other date recognized by others who are more in tune with history or who give a rats ass that the signs have moved in the sky since the old days.

That being said, there are two sites I want to remember (so far) and if I find more, I'll come back and add them.

I'll likely end up doing it my way anyway. It's my connection to that which is called Diety that I'm concocting, so why wouldn't I do it my way. We're already connected anyway. See, I know that once you make the trip, the main thing you learn is that you didn't have to go in the first place. I'm the spiritual sort and I love ritual. I start my day with prayer and I stop throughout the day to refocus and connect knowingly. This larger circle of the year is just one more way of doing it.


http://www.paganbookofhours.org/weodmonath.html

http://www.icelandichorse.is/freyfaxi.htm


1 comment:

DutchHexSign said...

I call this tide "high summer." It is the hottest time of the year here, not necessarily the beginning of the harvest for me, but near the middle; the early plantings are done or coming back for a second round, if they do that. The "summer crops" like tomatoes and beans are just beginning and the fall crops are there to look forward to.