There may be absolutes, but they are not in how we see
things or how we best follow our spirit's path to wholeness. My way honors the
land and place but it also links the inner and outer universe, the earth and
sky, this world and the worlds of the Unseen. In that vein, time does make a
difference. Climante was not the same everywhere and yet the same moments were
held in common as being holy. That leads me to the sky rather than to only the
earth.
The Day of the Dead in Mexico is at the same time as Samhain,
Cinco de Mayo is the same as Beltane -- 15 degrees Scorpio and 15 degrees
Taurus, respectively.
In celebrating the cross-quarter days, 15 degrees of
Aquarius and Leo also figure in, 15 degrees Aquarius being the time of Imbolc.
Though many of us choose to ride in on the skirts of that point of power and
adopt the local customs (such as Halloween on the eve of November instead of 15
degrees Scorpio proper).
IMBOLC
The way I celebrate Imbolc is to use this moment to honor
the Grandmothers, the women in my family line, and the nurturing Goddess. This
works in my personal wheel of the year because it is directly across from
LoafMas when I honor the Grandfathers, the men in my family line, and the
giving God.
February represents hope of the end of winter's cold and the
greening of Spring. Even in the bleakest and poorest of winters, we can see the
greening of the world that is coming. As soon as we turn the page from January
-- the long, cold month -- to February, I begin to look for signs of spring.
Something beyond lovely dandelions (who sometimes hang on all winter), Even if
the snow is belly deep to a tall cow, I still know that Spring is bubbling away
under there, getting ready to shove us up some crocuses and daffodils.
I see Imbolc as nurturing -- mothers in milk. A time to
nurture all the young, including the seeds of promise we've been incubating.
This is preparation for harvest, which is across the wheel at that which some
call Lugnasadh or Frey Fest or First Harvest.
Ok, so... that's my take on the holy day coming up.
If none of that works for you, you can watch ole' Puxutawny
Phil to see if he predicts sunny days or six more weeks of weather -- another way we hope toward Spring.
2 comments:
I don't want spring to come as much as I want winter today. I love the snow, the coziness inside by the woodstove, the opportunity to weave, make soap, throw pots and all things winter! Today things are changing again. It's raining on the snow, like mashing down quilt fibers!
It has been great feeling the changes stirring below the surface, though the obvious is still weeks away. Then, too, the hens are sensing something, as they are slowly beginning to start laying again. I am glad we have many more weeks of winter, for in many ways it is my favorite season!
Post a Comment