My rating: 4 of 5 stars
This is only the second Harlequin romance I've ever read. The other, along with a science fiction novel, were research. Therefore, if I review this as if it were mainstream fiction rather than as fan of romance novels, you must factor that in.
That being said, I would like for the romance to have unfolded slowly, while keeping the quick pace of the action.
The romance:
Alyssa and Cole fell head-over-heels from the first sighting, In the midst of life or death circumstances. They spend the rest of the novel discussing, in internal dialogue, their individual baggage, and trying to convince themselves they MUST not do what they've already done, which is fall in love.
The story:
Alyssa Wells, widowed mother of two, is in the wrong place at the right time, when she overhears a conversation that may lead to her husband's killer.
Cole Justice, a troubled veteran, is in the right place at the wrong time, and rescues Alyssa, as she's being chased by the men she heard discussing her husband's death.
Together, Alyssa, Cole, and Cole's assorted siblings seek to protect Alyssa and her twins while pursuing the suspected killer, and clearing Alyssa's deceased husband's name.
The craft:
The author did her research well. The detective work, the technical descriptions, references to police procedure is well written. There are no spare words, this novel races from beginning to end and keeps the excitement building.
The character's faith is in evidence, and quite realistically portrayed. She acts as a person of faith (in any religion) would act, with silent conversation with her Diety during times of thanksgiving and times of trouble. The author proves that it is impossible for anyone to forbid prayer in any setting, as the character's prayer is silent by necessity of her circumstances, and yet is as strong as the most shouted prayer in public places.
If this were a mainstream novel, I would give it 3 stars. In the genre in which it was written, I give it 4 stars. I give the author, Susan Sleeman, as many stars as she would like, because her work is excellent.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment