We attended a 4+ hour workshop on Germanic magic today. It was excellent. There was a lot of history, a lot of story and there was herb lore and rune lore. Some of it I knew well, some I knew little, some I didn't know at all. The teacher obviously knew enormous volumes and only touched the very edge of what she knew -- and yet to the rest of us it was an amazing edge. She's studied all of this since she was 14, took classes in college and speaks the languages, sixteen years of study.
I also got new insights into one of my favorite prayers:
Hail Day, Hail, Sons of Day!
Hail Night and New Moon!
With kind eyes look hither and grant us
Victory while we live.
Hail Gods! Hail Goddesses!
Hail bountiful Earth!
Grace us both with the gift of speech
And leech hands while we live.
(W H Auden & P B Taylor Translation.)
another translations:
Hail Day, Hail Day's son
Hail Night and her daughter,
Look upon us twain with loving eyes,
And bid us good speed,
Hail Gods, Hail Goddesses,
Hail much needed earth,
Sayings and sage wit
Grant to us the storied ones
and healing hands in this life...
Yet another version may be found here:
http://www.worldprayers.org/archive/prayers/invocations/hail_to_thee_day_hail_ye.html
No comments:
Post a Comment