November, you're iffy,
This year, you're moving in wisps,
I stared down the portal at the end of summer,
Now winter is a wind-whisper,
A haunting that will come to live a liftetime
Before the tulips bloom,
November, you need what you need,
But we don't have the makings,
Woodfire, holy smoke, crisp sounds, soft socks,
November, I wear my boots for you,
I knitted you a hat,
But this rain...
November, the wind blew in and I thought I heard you,
You're a wolf, a trail, a pine, an ember,
You're new every year, no memories sticking to you,
No, you just bring all other Novembers tagging as if
You've always been,
A one month jubilee, lifetimes long,
I knew you in Wales in the old days,
I knew you in wagon's west,
November, this is your song,
I'm taking dictation,
Writing this down as your shout comes
Through like a wisper from across miles of stars,
November, you don't look back,
Green/gold days of Indian Summer flit in to take the grey away,
But the sun finds you contented in the shadows
Of a woodspath,
November, there will be snow.
It'll crunch underfoot and we'll scoop it up and
taste it, trying to find you,
It'll startle our teeth into childhood,
Which, by this time, you would have sent icicles
Imposturing streams from rooftops,
We would have bitten them, crunch, crunch,
November, your days are short,
Your evenings long,
this is your song I'm singing...
No comments:
Post a Comment