Sunday, May 18, 2014

let's dance

I started out on this warrior wavespell (five days in, right now), distracting myself from any real warrior issues by doing a bit on FB about West Virginia. The gist was that I post something negative that is said and people defend our pretty state.

The first one bogged a bit because I mentioned that people in West Virginia don't dance. It's true. At any music festival, drum circle or wherever music is played, I can't stop my feet. But when I do stop to look around me, no one else is moving. One or two seem almost to move, a twitch here and there, as if they are under an enchantment, perhaps rusted like the tin man.

oil can -- oil can what?

No, I don't think that will do the trick. What will it take, my fellow mountaineers, to cause you to live up to your slogan about being "always free".  Free not to dance, you say? Alright then, but your heart would like you more if you moved a bit.

The Dance Spell

to free the frozen,
the self conscious,
the stuck-in-limbo,
take four beats of the hummingbird's heart
and add to the hoofbeats of  spring-fed ponies,
the kicked-up-heels of two capering kids,
the rush of a thawed ice stream,
the sudden thwang of a herd of startled deer
who leap over a fence,
add your own beat,
and stir every day as you walkabout,
whisper it, (((dance))) as you enter any crowd,
to the lone dreamer on the corner,
and the cashier at the dollar store,

Soon, we will all be dancing away our cares,
and if not,
then carry this charge alone, freed in the beat
and eager in the dance.

No comments: