Saturday, January 16, 2010

Elder and the Needfire

Birch into the fire is first,
The Lady's wisdom slakes our thirst,
Oak is next to catch the light
Giving forth the Gods insight,
Rowan's might will cause to flower
From the flames, life's magic power.
Willows by the water strand
Shows the way to Summerland,
Hawthorn purifies the blaze,
That fairy friends may find your gaze,
Hazel wisdom ways we're learning
As in the fire this wood is burning,
White the flowers of apply tree
That we should know fertility,
For joy that flows like aged wine,
Feed the flames with grapevine,
The fir, like Kenaz, holds the fire
Of immortality's desire.

But the Lady's Elder you shall not burn,
Or lessons of sorrow you will learn.

These are the Nine woods of legend and the tenth is mentioned, partly to assure that no one mistakes Elder for Alder, which is sometimes included among the nine woods (in place of Hawthorn). But also because it is customary to make an Elder blower and blow up the embers bright. Yet do not burn the hollowed and hallowed Elder rod, as the Elder bush belongs to the Lady and legend declares misfortune for those who burn Elder. Or even to those who cut an Elder, unless they ask permission and strike a deal with the Lady.

Lady Ellhorn, give me of thy wood
And I will give thee of mine
when I become a tree.


As a child, how I loved the Elder bushes. I made my castles inside them, tunnels within the thicket of Elder bushes and from that green-gold home, would watch little wild things come and go, rabbits, deer, squirrel and fox. If I was hungry, I could pick a branch and put it into my mouth and skim the small dark berries into my mouth.

Later, I loved the line in Olde Christmas "I saw an elder bush a bloomin' when the moon still give some light."

Later still, I'd make a pint of tea from equal amounts of elder flowers and peppermint and drink it hot and cover up and break a bad cough by morning time.

I saw a little boy once wearing a necklace, small, like a choker, of elder root pieces. His granny had made it to keep him from the pain of teething and his mother said it worked. Leaves of elder, tucked in a hatband will keep gnats from your face when you walk in the evening. They don't like the smell.

Elder leaves will make a green dye and the bark will give you black while the berries will give you blue (but not long lasting).

And the stems, with their white pith hollowed out give country kids toys to play with, a whistle or an elderberry blower (using the green, unripe berries for ammunition).

And elderberry jelly! It's the best. Especially if you use my Mom's recipe. 7 cups of juice and 5 of sugar. A bit of lemon and apple pectin.












No comments: