Been sitting here this evening at the wheel (for the most part), listening to the rain and an occasional song. The Be Good Tanya's version of THE LITTLEST BIRDS is playing continuous loop in my mind. I just found that song last night and it sounded so like our youngest. Then today, I read her blog, Dooley Noted, and there was that about traveling and about stopping someday. Not now, but someday.
We never used to get much rain in January, but we have rain now any old time of the year. There it is, melting the last piled up snowdrift and washing along the streets.
Rain has memories in it. I hear it on this roof and I hear it on a tin roof and I hear it on the thin roof of my childhood home. I walk in the puddles of rain, splashing down.
Now I just listen. There's no thunder with it, no lightning. I don't have a lick of sense when it comes to storms. If there's lightning and thunder, I'd just as soon go out and watch ole' Thor riding that Chariot across the sky.
I've got to tell that story to my grandson. He loves super heros. Won't he love the story of Thor. Thor has those 2 goats, Tanngrisni and Tanngnost. Evening time, he builds up his campfire. You can see the glow of Thor's fire off in the west sometimes. And he knocks those goats in the head and he cooks them for his supper. Then he wraps their bones in the goathide and he curls up and sleeps with his mighty hammer, Mjollnar, beside him.
When he wakes in the morning, there are the goats, come back to life and eating grass in the early rays of the sun. Thor milks the goats for his breakfast and then he hitches them to the chariot and across the sky he goes. But if you see the glow of Thor's fire in the morning instead of the evening, thunder will follow in the wake of his chariot wheels and lightning will crackle from Mjollnar.
But this is a Thorless rain. It's got its own kind of quiet power. The earth livens up with the rain. It wants to grow flowers, cold as it is. It'll grow dreams instead.
I hope it doesn't grow the rivers too much, though. Out of season, and melting the snow that's been drifted here and there. Our own yard had mounds of snow this morning and now most are gone, melted by the rain.
There is a rune called Uruz. Rain is a symbol of the rune. Rain that melts the bitter ice. Uruz is a strong rune, a rune of potential. Maybe there is good potential, too, in this rain tonight.
No comments:
Post a Comment