Thursday, March 1, 2012

skunks and signs and the country store

Anyone  around me for five minutes knows I'm full of that nonsense of signs and symbols, that sycronisticrap of how things happen and why and when and what. I've always loved that mess. When I was supposed to be a sit still and listen to the preacher type, I was really doing that thing where I'd flip open the Bible or the songbook and point to a word and then free-associate about what that word meant. (I'm not sure I ever heard an entire sermon all the way through -- was thrilled to find out Emerson had that same 'problem').

Today now, I couldn't figure out the Mayan sign. Leap day came into it and I don't know enough to figure my way around it. Fortunately, there is a Mayan Daykeeper on my friends list on FB. A fellow a whole country away from here who, nevertheless, is only a comment away from being able to help me with things like figuring out what (Mayan) day it is.

Today? It's the same sign as yesterday -- EB -- Human -- the color is Yellow which is South. South is the way of Earth Mother and the Healer.

I don't know what kind of headspace I'm in these days. So many ideas from so many people. We found a huge bit of our tribe and we've been hanging out with first one and then another. So there are ideas flowing that are, in may ways, new and strange and exciting and not at all things I've already got figured.

Which is why going to the farm store today was so... comfortable. Nothing like the smell of hay and rabbit feed to bring you back to somewhere you've been, and let your get your feet on the ground again.

And there we were, ooing and awing over rakes, and hoes, and watering systems, and rabbit hutches and egg baskets. The books in the farm store make me sigh and wish for bigger shelves. I've been in the mood to make things lighter -- lighten the load -- get rid of fluff and nonsense and tidy up around the house -- in a big way. Nothing like a trip to the farm store to make me recant my recent bout of minimalism.

Ah... but you can't go home again. A breather, only --  I think that's what the farm store visit was all about, to reset my thinking, let me remember my original idea. See... I know the world seems to be heading straight toward some kind of huge catastrophe. I'm not blind. I know what governments are capable of. But -- I also think that "he who saves his life will lose it" is a real good piece of directional advice. So, I'm thinking I'd rather head toward what I hope for, rather than from what I fear. Our water's being poisoned by frackers (I hope they go broke), and our seeds poisoned by big agri-businessness, (may they belly-up and dee). And there are a myriad of other troubles. But still...

Going towards the homestead, going towards the land and animals and dark nights with starry skies -- going towards, as far as possible, a way of life that means something... that's living the life. Going away from it because of fears of what might happen, that's trying to save your life and losing it in the process.

Besides, my simplest oracle cards, the Medicine Cards, gave me skunk reversed -- telling me I really stink at big ideas.

Spin.
Knit.
Chop wood.
Carry water.

You can't get more spiritual than digging in the dirt. Verbs are holy -- ideas are just ideas.


1 comment:

Barb said...

Let's stay grounded in the Earth, Kate! "So, I'm thinking I'd rather head toward what I hope for, rather than from what I fear." I'll try to walk with you on this path. PS I'm trying to lighten the load, too - how did I accumulate all this stuff?