Saturday, April 28, 2012

life in a small town

Lewisburg is one street and a spur or two -- nothing much to brag about, but that doesn't stop us. We seem to have one of everything -- someone to teach tai chi and someone to teach yoga and someone teaching poi and one bookstore with old books and one with new. We've got a health food store and lots of cafes (but only one Wild Bean) and a dance studio and three theaters but each unique -- one for live arts, one for packaged movies and one for fine art movies and live arts.

Today was world tai chi day. We meant to meet in the park, but the rain poured and pushed us to the top floor of the building on the corner across from O'Sheas (beauty, yarn, and magical supply store). Several instructors met together and we flowed through moves from a half dozen directions -- it was lovely.

Behind the scenes there are small town intrigues and some strong judgments of one by another.

 But as I moved, clumsily (I've had only 9 lessons) through the moves of the Five Seasons, the Eight Silken Movements, the Four Winds and the Form, it occurred to me that if anyone was watching to see if I did it right, they were not doing the moves right themselves. And then it occurred to me that this same thing is true in life. If someone else is paying attention to me and judging what I do, then they aren't focused and aware of their own life -- so I can safely ignore their input. And enjoy the lovely gifts of the day.



2 comments:

B. WHITTINGTON said...

All towns only need one of everything. Ten of everything which we have in Circleville is too much. I don't make decisions quickly anyway and then I have to decide which place to go to get something.
R is in hosp. and I am reading blogs. Back surgery left infection in incision. Another surgery to clean it out. Yegads.
Hope you and honey are well. Wish I could hear him play.
Will you be at WV writers even for one day??? hope hope hope. I'll be there Sat. Maybe Fri.
Love and blessings. Keep writing.
B

Granny Kate said...

We are planning on being there. Sometimes our finances make other plans while we're not looking, but as far as I know now, we'll be there. Sarah is doing workshops for the younger set this year. We're hoping Heather can come in for the weekend and that Jen will come, also. If Jen comes, I'll be on grandkid duty for part of the time, but that'll be fine.