Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Vada Faith (book review)



Vada FaithVada Faith by Barbara A. Whittington
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I think one of the things I liked best about Vada Faith was the author's ability to turn a phrase. She took an old saw and sharpened it, time and again. The character wasn't "all thumbs", she was all fingers. That says so much!

I also loved that I knew the characters. It was like taking a peek into the lives of hometown folk, but in very unusual circumstances. Vada decides to be a surrogate mother, to the disapproval of nearly everyone she knows. She gets hate mail, is verbally assaulted by kinfolk and townfolk alike, even debated about on television.

Even though the situation Vada Faith finds herself creating is quite unusual, her reactions, struggles, and soul searching are all things you and I would understand. I would have liked a less tied-up ending, but that's my own preference, an no reflection on the choices the author made.

You will love the book and if you're anything like me, won't be able to put it down. It's one that stayed with me long after I finished reading it. Sometimes, I still catch a glimpse of Vada Faith when I'm out and about.

I finished reading this book in the summer a week after I received it, not quite certain of the date.

View all my reviews

No comments: