Welcome to my woodfire,this virtual hearth, with the magic humming and the tea brewing and the books spilling over. That music in the background, that's my Honey playing his guitar, or it could be Addie Bell, my little mountain dulcimer or the rain on a tin roof, or the windriver singing way up high. Here in the hills, there's music everywhere you give a listen. So, sit a spell and lets listen together.
Sunday, September 30, 2012
What do you worship -- (answer to Fiona's newsletter)
Fiona's newsletter asked the question -- What do you worship? Meaning what actual things get a lion's share of your admiration and adoration.
My answer:
Books. I don't allow myself to buy very many things. I buy my clothes from Thrift stores, I don't wear make-up, I don't smoke or drink or take large vacations. But when it comes to books, I have no qualms and no buyers remorse.
I lift a book from the shelf reverently, get the feel of the volume, smell it, (old-book scent or new book scent are equally wonderful). I love books with textured edges and off-white pages. Tiny books with brown binding. Childen's picture books. Old, massive, leather-bound books. Books with unusual titles. I once owned over 10,000 books. Now, only my favorites (some 5 bookcases and several overflowing chairs and tables) stay with me.
I pass by and loving touch one of them. I sometimes speak to them, or just smile. Ah.... books.
Find Fiona here:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am having such a grand time winding my way through your blog - and I just checked out this book on Amazon - they have a lending library through kindle and we got a kindle for christmas from our son - it is a wonderful way to read - I love it. I still love books and like the feel of them - but kindle is just another great way to read. Thanks for the info on the book.
Post a Comment