The poem of Amergin says: "I am a wind in the sea, I am a tear drop of the sun, I am a lake in a plain..."
http://celticmythpodshow.com/Resources/Amergin.php
Maybe I'll write my own poem:
I am a daughter of the hills,
I am a word in a story,
I am a mother of good women,
I am a thread in the hands,
I am a companion of the weaver,
I am the moon's grandchild,
Spirit knows my name,
Healer moves my dreams,
Who can walk the path I know
Through the rune of transformation...
YOUR TURN
3 comments:
I tried but this proved to be painful for me. Would you believe I started a poem about myself I AM and started to cry. Had to forget even trying for now but an exercise that would serve me well, probably. Might work instead of intense counseling.
Busy editing.
Staring out the window
At the rain.
B
It's hard. I know that. It's hard to say positive things about ourselves. We're not raised to it. I remember Mom saying, "don't go tooting your own horn". And she never bragged on herself. I doubt if she ever realized how wonderful she was. I used to see her sort of step back when we were around people and she never spoke her mind unless she got riled. She could put up a good fight if the need was there. But we were a meek and mild kind of family.
I hope sometime you write a boast -- that's what this poem is. We're taught not to boast, but do you know, in the Heathen religion (which isn't what you might think it is), people are encouraged to boast.
In fact they have a sumble, a feast, and people raise a glass and make a toast and they also boast about something they will do that year. Then, see, they have to do that thing. Because they said so in front of their kinsmen and tribe.
I love your poem. I'll keep that prompt in mind and try it later, after I'm done getting my manuscripts ready for the WVWriter's Contest. I wrote a poem once titled, 'I Am From Appalachia.'
Post a Comment