I wrote my Honey a song the day before we met. It was called My Man's a Farmer. I guess I called him in with that song. The next day, in November 1975, I met this fellow whose dream was to farm. He was a coal miner and a mechanic. He played guitar and wore a cowboy hat. He didn't have long hair when I met him, or a beard either. but by the time we married in April, he'd already cut his hair and shaved for the last time. I wonder if his Mama will ever forgive me.
Oh well... there was that one more time he cut his hair. Up about 1983, I believe it was. We started going to church and he gave his hair a bit of a clipping. Kept the beard though. His kids have never seen him without a beard. They wouldn't know him.
About a year after that the preacher, a dude I detested with all my heart, said, "He had a poneytail when we found him, but 'bless God', he's beginning to shape up."
To which my man cocked one eyebrow. And back in the truck, when he played "radio tarot", the next song up was Charley Daniels telling the world to "leave this long-haired country boy alone".
My man was a farmer. We raised cows and dairy goats. He raised pigs for a little while. Then one day he had to shoot one and it turned and looked him in the eye and all the other pigs moved over. He went through with it cause the guy who was buying it was standing right there and the family needed the money. But that was the last time.
He didn't like coal mining either. Timbering was not his style neither. He was a Preacher for a time until he got kicked out of the religion.
Now, my Honey makes looms, plays fae music on his guitar and finds answers with a pendulum and L-rods. To keep bean money coming in, we buy and sell old houses.
But me and Honey, we're missing the farm. We don't want the whole scene any more. We just want our milk goats and fiber rabbits. And yeah, maybe a little congregation of scratching hens.
He's a good fellow. But don't go telling him I said so.

2 comments:
I enjoyed reading this, getting to know you and your hubby better.
Why do we long for what we had before?
Or for what was in our past?
We're set to stay right here as far as I know now but life has a way of picking us up and setting us down somewhere else.
Did I tell you we moved to Florida and bought a house on a whim. BIG MISTAKE. Never unpacked. Stayed long enough to remodel the house and spend too much money. I got sick and we came home. Back in six weeks. Went back to sell the house. Never to live.
I'm content now.
Thanks for sharing. B
We packed up and moved to the coastal town of Elizabeth City, North Carolina. Unloaded everything into a storage building, rented a motel room and got out the want ads to look for a rental.
No one slept that night and there were more than a few tears. The next day, we loaded up the U-Hal and moved back to WV.
Post a Comment