been posting, that is. On Wordance, the story/poetry site. I'd like to put the poems there that I wrote in the past 13 years. Poetry struck in 1998 -- when Neptune moved into aquarius in the middle of my 9th house and highlighted my tenth house (unless I got my birthtime wrong by a few minutes, in which case, it's anyone's guess).
Anyway, I'd wanted to write poetry for a long time and I just... didn't... get it.
I wrote rhymy kind of things that seemed to be poet-ish. My first (what I call actual) poem hit me -- mid shower in 1998. It was called Reversing Adam. It was followed, swiftly by PHASES, BAD ADVICE, and a host of "losing my religion" type of poems. Then along came medicine poems. Random poems followed, rather divinatory poems sometimes.
I wrote at poetry for the next nine years... and then it faded off into the sunset, with only an occasional backward glance.
One backward glance to poetry came in the De-arranged poems. A little book, badly written, that came my way through the Goodwill discards got a reworking. As an exercise in random word, I'd open the book to the next page each day and circle words without thought, my eye jumping from word to word, my hand following. When I was through circling words, I read it back and if it made sense, I'd give it a title. More of them made sense then didn't.
I've been collecting these old poems and stories in one place -- I've made a start. MY WORDS and DE-ARRANGED POEMS in the list to your right. Give a read if you feel up to it and check back from time to time. I'll keep adding them along as I run across them in old papers, on the backs of envelopes, in my tattered old chapbooks and old journal entries.
If you write stories or poetry, leave a link in the comments section -- either here or there -- so I can read your work. See you at an open mic sometime!
2 comments:
Now I know where to find you.
YES you have moved.
I do poems or what I think are poems when one strikes in my head and I write it down. Otherwise I'm not sure - what is a poem.
Spending time with my daughter next door trying to let her lean on me til she feels better. Having a bit of depression.
Take care. Talk soon. B
I think a poem is something that puts an image into words -- it distills an experience or emotion and gives it form without being so blunt as to to state it outright the way prose will do.
And I love the sentiment (though I forget who said it) that "there's no such thing as bad poetry. If it's not good, it's not poetry."
Post a Comment