I would condense, and once I was small enough, I'd step inside a place that was part of story. Writing is magic, after all. Later I got good at writing and I stopped doing that. I just thought of something and wrote about it. Or I didn't even think of anything, I put a word on paper and it would bloom and divide and procreate and all these worlds would crawl all over the page. They'd fit because words tend to find their own kind. You try to put words like explosion and pudding together -- they repel each other -- magnets on a flat surface, the wrong poles pushing.
I think, what it is, you get older and you stop seeing inside raindrops. Only, not really -- you see very well -- but you get lazy, distracted, you prioritize, only get yor priorities all screwy.
To write, you have to bite icycles. If you can't do that, you're too much of a coward to write. You need to suck lemons and wade into the strong current and throw your coat open to a strong wind. At the very least, you need to walk in the rain without an umbrella.
And I used to do that.
4 comments:
Interesting peek into you and how you used to write.
We change how we write every time we sit down to write - or I do.
I've tried to wrangle the writing process and put it into words and it's like trying to bottle spilled honey. All but impossible.
WE could write about writing all day and still not figure out how we do it. Or why. That's the question. Why???
I write because I can say what I want to say and express it better in writing than I can with my voice. That sounds odd for a storyteller, but it's true. I still walk in the rain without an umbrella :)
Your writing is like poetry, Kate. It seems like I hear singing when I read your posts.
(Barbara): >>it's like trying to bottle spilled honey<<
That's a perfect description of writing. Does it ever reach the page the way we mean it? Do we ever get all that honey bottled or does the best of it drip away to be recycled by passing bees.
Granny Sue, I need to recapture that walking-in-the-rain priority!
I write because once upon a time that's the ONLY way I talked. Then it became habit -- and it feels exactly the same as when I step into circle and meet with Spirit Kin -- it feels magic when I'm in-story.
Post a Comment