http://www.stonyriver.ie/search?updated-min=2010-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-05%3A00&updated-max=2011-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-05%3A00&max-results=50
The clothes here in this tub are just for show -- the water gives my washboard music and undertow...
Go Visit Stoney River and write your own microfiction.
Awhile back, I wrote a poem about a washboard -- at a prompt from a friend:
Washboard -- A Matter of Perspective
Gran, can I play a song on that,
Lil one reaches high, thinking
of some folks he saw one homecoming day,
thinking of a washtub and a jugpipe band on tv,
Old woman's laugh bubbles up and down
As she reaches him the old washboard,
See here, she said, this board
Was made for washing clothes.
No, he said, it's for music made,
And Gran let thought go back and forth
on the ridges of years,
Do you play this, Gran?
the little guy looks up and up,
taps a fingernail against the board,
I used to play your momma's dresses
Across those ridges,
Use to play the miner clothes your grandpa wore,
Played the neighbor's clothes all one Springtime
When money was low,
Played a song that dried in a cold wind,
I played my songs hard for awhile,
Trying to wash one pure note back to the sky

11 comments:
Awh that's soo sweet! Love it :O)
Nice take on today's prompt! I should have done one too, but got busy with other things.
I still have the washboard I used to use-it has a place of honor over the fireplace. Then I have several others, one painted up for programs, the others just interesting. Funny how old essentials become decorations.
I really enjoyed your washtub poem-I love the comparison to playing music!
Those washboards do make a lovely sound. Have a great week.
Washboards make beautiful music. Clever take on the pic.
Loved the song of the washboard!
~Jean
Love your take on the picture of the day!! I, too, love the comparison to playing music! Hope you have a lovely week!
Sylvia
In high school I knew a guy who played the 'washboard'....then he went into politics! Not surprised, I say...LOL
Have a great week. Cheers!
The ol' washboard and metal tub music of the hills! Original interpretation!
:)
Nice micro. Enjoyable post.
http://gaelikaa-writeaway.blogspot.com/2010/12/washing-day-microfiction-monday-61.html
What a beautiful take on a washboard! I loved your poem... music comes in many guises. At the children's museum here in town, they have a little depression-era shanty-town set up. Several children were playing house there, "cooking" and hanging clothes up to dry, etc. My daughter saw the washboard and the clothespins, and instead of playing house with the rest of them, she played the washboard with the clothespin. Much more fun!
Post a Comment