I figure I already wrote these stories, so I might as well keep them.
This one in response to a friend telling me she was a Beatles fan.
>>Beatles? I was an Elvis girl. I measured 6' 2" on my
wall and put his lil' ole picture right there. I
watched all his movies.
It was 1965 when I went to the movie, Girl Happy. And
when it was over and the western movie played out, I
stayed and watched Girl Happy come on again.
And then, when I left the theater it was dark out and
I had that long walk home up the mountain. The
mountain I didn't mind, but I was afraid of the valley
in the dark.
I usually went home the valley way, while my brother,
John, took the high road -- Maple Street there in
Richwood.
I knew Mom would have sent John after me, so I decided
I better go the Maple street way. And John did go
after me, but he remembered that I usually took the
valley road, past the Rainbow Grille and across the
South Side bridge and down Dyer avenue, so that's the
way he went.
I walked up Maple and John wasn't there and instead of
going home, I backtracked and then I got worried about
Mom being worried and I started crying.
I went across the Maple Street Bridge crying and this
young teen-age girl stopped and I told her what
happened and she took me home with her, there on Boggs
avenue. It was a scary house which bothered my dreams
for years to come. It was glaring yellow and there
were roaches everywhere. It terrified me.
But her kinfolks drove me up the hill and let me off
at my Grandma's and I could "read" people, even then.
And what surprised me was that these grownups were as
scared as I was -- they were frightened of our
peaceful lovely hill and the old time house(shacks?)
that we lived in. They let me out, turned their car
and hightailed it out of there.
And that's my Girl Happy story. After Mom got over
being upset at me worrying her near to death (John
came home and told her I was not anywhere to be found,
which, of course I wasn't, because I was at that scary
house waiting to see what was going to happen -- it
took forever), she bought me the Girl Happy album --
which I had up until I got so religious and gave away
all my records (except Denver and Baez).<<
No comments:
Post a Comment