This journal has a bit of this and a bit of that -- would be nice if I was organized.
So, here's another thing to add to stew -- old journal entries (from actual paper journals) and old e-mails.
This is an email from
>>was the annual Gay Pride parade downtown in remembrance of the Stonewall riot in NY, thirty years or so ago. Anyway, pratically everybody in town, gay and straight went out and joined the parade. Just as it was about to begin, we heard a really odd sound -- I've only heard it once before -- it was a fellow way off by himself maybe a block away -- he gave three sounds on a shofar -- and I swear that sound generated the most peaceful energy possible and it kind of circled everybody and people just started filing into the park and joining the ones getting ready to march and the whole thing turned out very peaceful -- and a real celebration.
Ok, so then the guy wasn't there. I'm not saying he didn't just fade off into the sunset or something, but he suddenly wasn't there. And he wasn't among the parade people. He just came out and blew the shofar and then...went.
Do you remember hearing a shofar? It was Darrell at that church in Virginia the time we went with Randy and the bunch. Darrell is that preacher who told everybody, "I was waiting on the word of the Lord to know what I was supposed to preach. And I kept waiting. And I drank my first bottle of wine. Nothing. Then I drank the second. Still nothing. By the third bottle, the Lord just filled me up with the word and now I'm going to lay it on you." And then he played the shofar and preached. Anyway.... it was that instrument.
And I'm sure the guy today just took his shofar and wandered on off -- a big black guy dressed in white and with a shofar -- he wouldn't have even been noticed. I mean it IS Asheville.
Besides there were other things getting noticed. Like the girl who wore a cowboy outfit complete with chaps -- but no pants -- just a string bikini under the chaps. And the guy in the pink tutu with an equally pink boa around his neck (is there always a guy in a tutu? -- Why is that?)
If I could remember names, I'd tell you who was there singing before and after the parade, but I don't remember. I recognized them as they said them -- some local singers, but people you might have heard of. Anyway, it was all very good. Beautiful!<<
No comments:
Post a Comment