Thursday, December 9, 2010

It's a quiet night Nowhere Near Lake Wobegone

Today was housework, cooking, baking, astrology, reworking an old story that should get finished someday, sorting things and even finding things that were lost. Now, it's late enough to not want to begin anything else -- just play a bit of music and maybe read that last chapter I've been saving of the last book Terry Prachett may ever write. (I Shall Wear Midnight).

We were just talking about the fact that we're acting old anymore. Someone invites us to go somewhere, do something and we're all -- "eh... we'd rather stay home..."

Not so long ago, we were hanging around down at the drumming at Pritchard Park and a friend came up to us and asked us to go to a sweat lodge with her the next day. We didn't even hesitate. Sure.

Let's go to that high place where Tennessee becomes North Carolina and drum until the sun comes up. Ok, let's do that.

Or we'd see a gathering with some folks we know and we'd just go join in. Now... I would rather be invited to a spin-in or a stitch n bitch at a yarn store.

Invite me to help you can your greenbeans. I'm there. Invite me to read runes for everyone at a new year's party. Count me in. Invite me to help you clear some brush or clean an old house, I'm there for you. But invite me to go skiing, rafting, or to go hang out and listen to music at a bar or something, I...'ve got other plans. I need to darn some socks (I'm absolutely thrilled that I actually know how to darn socks) or sort some papers or something.

I'm boring.

Didn't used to be.

Am now.

Deal with it.

2 comments:

Granny Sue said...

Funny, I was saying something similar to my son last night. Not into long road trips anymore, used to want to whitewater raft but not now...I'd rather be here by the fire, writing or cooking or reading. maybe it's age, or maybe I'm just tired of running.

B. WHITTINGTON said...

SOunds like our lives are pretty similar in that we do our chores, our cooking, our reading, and would rather stay at home and hang around.
Have a great evening doing whatever. I'm in an easy chair.
B