Day 17 of 31 Days to Know You
What are your hobbies?
When did you begin each one?
How did you get interested?
Why do you do what you do?
Who were you as you began each hobby? (Mom... Grandpa... Breadwinner... Student...)
One day, I walked down a street called Haywood in Ashveille, North Carolina and passed by a fiber store called Earth Guild and there, in the window was :
Kromski Symphony SpinningWheel
and a sign that said:
Spinning Class
Now Open
But this post isn't about me or how I took up spinning -- or even, really, about hobbies. It's about:
YOU
and how to know you better
TRY THIS: Choose one of your hobbies and write about it the way I've written about spinning. Go back to the very day/moment you took up this hobby -- If you'd like, use metaphors having to do with the hobby.
Why you love that hobby so much
May tell more about you
than THAT you love that hobby so much.
how I took up spinning :
I was spinning out my time, waiting for my particular Goddess to reveal Herself to me.
I loved the Mother-Goddess, Brighid. I admired the Norse Goddess, Skathi.
Brighid loved poetry, knew how to nurture a child and tend a good hearthfire. Skathi was independent, strong, and full of vigor.
But none had become (for me) the kind of God/dess
who walked and talked with me.
Then I saw the wheel, and...
Heard Her in the call of the Wheel...
in that moment, I knew Her,
Frigga, All-Mother, Spinner of the Clouds,
Who Spins the battle from afar...
This is WHY I spin,
spinning is part of my spirit-path to wholeness.
All-Mother, Frigga
Be Thou to me, wise teacher,
That I may walk the way of weal,
That I may learn the way of the Handmaidens,
Using these gifts to our good
And to the greater good of all.
Teach me that I, too, may spin the battle from afar,
Rightly discerning the pattern of the weave,
That I might wisely choose the spin of the thread
For this moment, in this hour,
To know what is needed this day,
All-Mother, take up thy spindle and guide my hands
To the light of Wisdom,
Direct my thoughts to Knowing ways,
That when Cronehood comes upon me,
I may be indeed, a Tru Elder,
Ever learning in the way of the Children of the Wise
Be Thou to me, wise teacher,
That I may walk the way of weal,
That I may learn the way of the Handmaidens,
Using these gifts to our good
And to the greater good of all.
Teach me that I, too, may spin the battle from afar,
Rightly discerning the pattern of the weave,
That I might wisely choose the spin of the thread
For this moment, in this hour,
To know what is needed this day,
All-Mother, take up thy spindle and guide my hands
To the light of Wisdom,
Direct my thoughts to Knowing ways,
That when Cronehood comes upon me,
I may be indeed, a Tru Elder,
Ever learning in the way of the Children of the Wise
No comments:
Post a Comment