Day 29 of 31 Days to Know You
THE COMPANY YOU KEEP
It's said you are known by the folks you gather around you, the ones you draw to you. Is this so?
Sometimes, the ones around you are the exact opposite. Distorted mirrors by which you have been measuring yourself.
This doesn't define who you are, but sometimes it shows the area of development on which you are working. Sometimes, you'll get pushed about until you learn to push back. Sometimes, you'll be told what to do until you learn to say no to them and yes to you.
This doesn't define who you are, but sometimes it shows the area of development on which you are working. Sometimes, you'll get pushed about until you learn to push back. Sometimes, you'll be told what to do until you learn to say no to them and yes to you.
Look into the mirror(s)
All around you
Are the mirrors true
Do they define you?
If you find yourself disagreeing with, or trying to conform to, the people who surround you, do some exploratory thinking (I think best with pen and paper). Why are they a part of your life? What situations have you created that bring these people into your space?
It may be time to find new friends,
New mirrors.
Avoid people who make you less than you are
If someone casts you into a role you don't wish to play, step out of that role. Startle them into seeing you -- or leave them behind. The first word in conform is con -- who is conning you into being what you are not?
When I remember the people around me thirty years ago, I see how trapped I was in that distorted house of irregular mirrors. I identified with the terms, "oddling" and even, "changeling" -- one of these things is not like the others. All through the years that i was in a Christian church among people who had the opposite political views than those I held, I was building up anger and resentment. The song that drew me in said, just as I am - but once in, what I was was wrong.
Now I belong to a spiritual path that really thrives for me just as I am, without one addition of what I am not. Now I walk free. Now I shine with authentic light, instead of the cast-off seconds of people who think I don't measure up.
I simply stepped out of the
House of Mirrors
and into a world of Beauty, Wonder, and Authenticity! Now, the Tribe around me are more like windows into who I am, rather than mirrors that reflect what they want me to be.
I
1 comment:
Wow. I had some really nasty people around me at that time. I didn't even know how devious they were. Wrecked me for quite awhile because I had thought they were friends. They were -- to each other, not to me.
And here I was saying to look in the mirror of those around you. So there's this really uptight woman afraid of everything who lived down the road a ways. And this other woman who was a close friend of hers and I thought, of mine. They gossiped on their phones about me but I didn't know that.
I still don't know what to make of Amy or Lynn.
If these women were a reflection of me at that time of my life, then I was in worse shape than I thought i was.
They are far in the past. I see them from time to time and they mean nothing at all to me. It is as if I never knew them -- as if they never existed in the same world as me.
What I learned was not to trust. And I don't. I don't take anyone at face value anymore.
Post a Comment