a friend of ours posted on FB -- "I wish life had subtitles" -- I can't put it any better than that. I can't figure it out. I've got cards and runes and the slant of the sun through trees -- it should mean something. Plans? They're something the wind laughs at, but still we make them and then the wind comes whistling along a different track.
Where are we going -- what are we doing ??? I don't know. It should be simple. It's simple on paper. We'll rent something where people live. No people living here. If you don't go to the bar or church or both, you've got nowhere to meet these people in this little town. They don't want to be met, anyway -- why should they? They've been here all their lives, they don't know you. You are "those people" -- or "those new people" --even though you've been in town 4 years. Most don't even know that much about us. You can't meet anyone.
So, our friends are 30 miles away -- and other friends are 4 hours away. It should be simple. Go rent something there. Where there are people. It should be that simple.
2 comments:
People are funny creatures. I've been here 35+ years but I'm still not considered as being from here and am usually the last to know what's going on. It's okay with me though--I like the alone-ness of it.
I think that the reason we're accepted in Lewisburg and Asheville is because no one else is "from there" either.
But we're a bit on the weird side, so don't really fit in anywhere except with other weird folk. And I don't mind it, exactly, except that I really want to do things in and for and with community.
All we have in Rainelle is a house. Inside the house, we fit in. Outside, not so much.
Post a Comment